Re: PATCH : LEDs - possibly the most pointless kernel subsystem ever

From: Ryan Flowers (linux@ryanflowers.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 16:15:22 EST

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 09:38:52PM +0100, John Bradford wrote:
> > Ah, I just thought, for debugging purposes we could have LEDs for:
> >
> > * BKL taken
> > * Servicing interrupt
> > * Kernel stack usage > 2K
>
> In the way olden days we used the console lights for a realtime
> display of buffer use on a PDP-11. This type of realtime display
> can be most useful, especially if it's easily configurable.
>
> --
> Randolph Bentson
> bentson@holmsjoen.com
> -
These ideas based on my experience in a production server environment, in
web hosting:

Temperature (Red/Yellow/Green LED)
CPU load (Red/Yellow/Green LED)
Out of Memory (blinking red?)

Don't imagine it would be hard to make a red LED status also set off an
alarm via the PC speaker. Although really a proper system will alert you of
these things anyway, but it would be nice to see it at a glance too.

Ryan Flowers - Reno NV
http://www.ryanflowers.com