RE: Linux v2.6.0-test2

From: Oliver Pitzeier (oliver@linux-kernel.at)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 10:41:28 EST

Hi Voicu!

Voicu Liviu <pacman@mscc.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> Oh yeah? See this:

> liviu@starshooter liviu $ uname -a
> Linux starshooter 2.6.0-test2 #1 Sun Jul 27 22:18:26 IDT 2003
> i686 Pentium II (Deschutes) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

[ ... ]

I believe you haven't understood what I wanted to say with my posting... I was very glad to see 2.6.0-test1 running on my _ALPHA_ and seeing -test2 booting up was great (two in a row... :) )! Due development of 2.5.X there where many versions wich didn't even compile on Alpha-arch., but did on Intel. I had many 2.5.X kernels on my Intel and many of them where OK, while on Alpha they did horrible things!

What I wanted to say to Linus and the (main) kernel developers/contributors is, that they did a great job, because Linux 2.6 is not only running on Intel. It's a OS for all hardware platforms; As it should be. :)

I believe that many people like to read, that the kernel builds and runs fine on non-standard hardware... I do hear complaints the whole day (some kind of support stuff) and _I_ would be happy if someone would say: "Thanks, it runs great!". But that's not what people do...... I DO say: "thanks it runs - at least for me", to let the folks know...

Best regards,
 Oliver