Re: Turning off automatic screen clanking

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 06:06:00 EST

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Charles Lepple wrote:

> Richard B. Johnson said:
> <snip>
> > It is impossible to send escape sequences to an input that does
> > not exist. That's why I need to know how to stop the kernel's
> > insistence on turning off the screen.
>
> from 'strace setterm -blank 0':
>
> write(1, "\33[9;0]", 6) = 6
>
> which means you want to write the escape sequence to standard output (fd
> 1), or /dev/tty0 if your code is not attached to the current console. This
> should be independent of any input devices that may or may not be there.
>
> --
> Charles Lepple <ghz.cc!clepple>
> http://www.ghz.cc/charles/

Yes. This is f*ing absurb. A default that kills the screen and the
requirement to send some @!_$%!@$ sequences to turn it off. This
is absolute crap, absolutely positively, with no possible justification
whatsoever. If I made an ioctl, it will probably be rejected.........

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).