Re: 2.6-test2: gcc-3.3.1 warning.

From: Tomas Szepe (szepe@pinerecords.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 05:20:07 EST

> [jamagallon@able.es]
>
> > Does Mandrake also ship "stable" distributions w/ kernels compiled using
> > gcc 3.3-whatever or is that idiocy suse-specific?
>
> Tell me a distro that ships pristine www.kernel.org kernels o release
> gcc's, without any 'backported patch from xxx-1234 to correct PR1234'.

Slackware (whenever possible).

> What is the difference between backporting a patch from 3.3.1-pre to 3.3,
> and using 3.3.1-pre directly ? Ah, that you get less bug corrected.

Large. 3.3 is a development series. It DOES introduce new stuff.

In production environments you definitely want to stick with 3.2.3
or (better yet) 2.95.3.

$ head -4 Makefile
VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 22
EXTRAVERSION = -pre8
$ grep 'recommended compiler' Documentation/Changes
The recommended compiler for the kernel is gcc 2.95.x (x >= 3), and it

> And no, at least in my case, this is not a stable Mandrake, it is Cooker,
> the equivalent of RawHide. Latest stable shiped a kernel built with 3.2.3,

Ok.

--
Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>