Re: Kernel 2.6 size increase

From: Miles Bader (miles@lsi.nec.co.jp)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 21:36:01 EST

Bernardo Innocenti <bernie@develer.com> writes:
> > Being able to remove the block layer entirely, just as for the networking
> > layer, should be considered too, since none of ramfs, tmpfs, nfs, smbfs,
> > jffs and jffs2 just to name those ones actually need the block layer to
> > operate. This is really a big pile of dead code in many embedded setups.
>
> It's a great idea.

Yup.

When I've used a debugger to trace through the kernel reading a block on
a system using only romfs, it's utterly amazing how much completely
unnecessary stuff happens.

Of course it's a lot harder to find a clean way to make it optional
than it is to complain about it ... :-)

-Miles

--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo