Turning off automatic screen clanking

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 15:00:03 EST

I have experimentally determined that I can turn off
the automatic screen blanking with the following escape
sequence.

const char blk[]={27, '[', '9', ';', '0', ']', 0};
main()
{
    printf(blk);
}

I need to know what the appropriate ioctl() is to do this
directly without using escape sequences. I have searched
the 2.4.20 sources and can't find any documentation for
anything that remotely even looks like it turns off the
automatic blanking. The code appears to be truly magic.

This is important for some imbeded systems because there
isn't any input available, and the screen output gets shut
off and can't be turned on except by re-booting.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).