Re: i8042 problem

From: Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 10:43:51 EST

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> > Well, are timeouts needed at all?
>
> Yes. We send a command to the keyboard. It may react, or it may not.

 But we need not wait for that actively. If we are unsure about a result
of a command, then we may send a command in question followed with an echo
request. This assures an IRQ will finally arrive and if no command
response arrives before an echo response, then the keyboard ignored the
command. I used this approach many years ago to differ between PS/2
keyboards (which respond with 0xfa,0xab,0x83 to a request for ID) and
genuine PC/AT ones (which respond with lone 0xfa). It worked.