Re: PATCH: allow 2.6 to build on old old setups

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 08:28:38 EST

Alan Cox writes:
> On Llu, 2003-07-28 at 02:52, David S. Miller wrote:
> > > info->hdr->e_machine == EM_SPARCV9) {
> > > /* Ignore register directives. */
> > > if (ELF_ST_TYPE(sym->st_info) == STT_REGISTER)
> > > break;
> > > }
> > > +#endif
> >
> > This change is wrong.
> >
> > If you're going to do this, it's much better to define it to the
> > correct value in this case (which is decimal '13').
>
> Its sparc specific stuff so presumably all sparc stuff had the register
> ?. I can change and resubmit though - no problem

The error is that modpost.c is compiled against the C library elf headers
instead of the kernel's own elf headers. My #ifndef patch is just a workaround
for a missing -Iinclude and possibly -nostdinc when modpost.c is compiled.

David's response to that was that I should update my C library headers
instead. This is doable, but kind of defeats the purpose of having test
machines with old user-spaces around in the first place.

Linus once said that Linux did its own offsetof() just to avoid relying
on a fully working user-space...