Re: i8042 problem

From: Andries Brouwer (aebr@win.tue.nl)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 06:59:24 EST

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 12:25:05PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Llu, 2003-07-28 at 02:55, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> > > Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:47:26 +0200
> > > From: Andries Brouwer <aebr@win.tue.nl>
> >
> > > So the culprit is the failing of atkbd_probe().
> > > It does a ATKBD_CMD_GETID, but gets no answer, then a
> > > ATKBD_CMD_SETLEDS, and that command fails.
> >
> > I see the light now. Somehow I imagined that atkbd code does not call
> > the ->open for the port. Now it all falls into place. Everything works
> > with a bigger timeout.
>
> Unfortunately with this change several people still report failures

Ach. One bug fixed and the Linux kernel is still not perfect?
What a pity.

[But yes, as I also said to someone else: on i386 one has a working
keyboard after bootup. No initialization and no probing required.
The new keyboard code uses a lot of knowledge about common keyboards
and keyboard controllers. It works in most cases. But already the
linux-kernel readers see a long stream of problems. I am afraid of
the effect on a million Linux users.]

[[On the other hand, as I wrote somewhere else, this is a great way
to learn a lot about very obscure keyboards.]]