Re: Kernel 2.6 size increase - get_current()?

From: Miles Bader (miles@lsi.nec.co.jp)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 22:19:13 EST

Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@us.ibm.com> writes:
> Inlines don't always help performance (depending on cache sizes, branch
> penalties, frequency of code access...), but they do always increase
> code size.

Um, inlining can often _decrease_ code size because it gives the
compiler substantial new opportunities for optimization (the function
body is no longer opaque, so the compiler has a lot more info, and any
optimizations done on the inlined body can be context-specific).

-Miles

--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen