Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

From: Carlos Velasco (carlosev@newipnet.com)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 19:35:21 EST

On 27/07/2003 at 17:14 David S. Miller wrote:

>[ Please wrap your lines at 72 characters, you emails are really
> difficult to read and reply to, thanks. ]

Done.

>This only means your problem can also be fixed by correcting
>your routing tables.

Playing with routing table and using arp_filter.
Or using the hidden patch.
Or using a tool for filtering arp as iparp or netfilter/arpfilter.

IMHO "hidden" is the simpliest (provided it's compiled in the kernel).

>Show me the standard that Linux violates by behaving in this way?
>There are none, our behavior is perfectly acceptable.

Sure it's... I have never said it's wrong, I only say that its
behaviour is different to other OS and it's NOT usual.
And on certain scenaries it could be a desired behaviour.

>Other systems do not give you the capabilities our routing layer does,
>such as route based source address selections. So it is no surprise
>that they behave differently in this area.

Problem is that linux is unable to behave like the other OS and systems
do in a simple way.
The easy way is the "hidden" patch, if it's applied in the kernel.

Regards,
Carlos Velasco