blk_stop_queue/blk_start_queue confusion, problem, or bug???

From: Lou Langholtz (ldl@aros.net)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 13:24:25 EST

I've been trying to use the blk_start_queue and blk_stop_queue functions
in the network block device driver branch I'm working on. The stop works
as expected, but the start doesn't. Processes that have tried to read or
write to the device (after the queue was stopped) stay blocked in
io_schedule instead of getting woken up (after blk_start_queue was
called). Do I need to follow the call to blk_start_queue() with a call
to wake_up() on the correct wait queues? Why not have that functionality
be part of blk_start_queue()? Or was this an oversight/bug?

The reason I'm using blk_stop_queue and blk_start_queue is to stop the
request handling function (installed from blk_init_queue), from being
re-invoked and to return when the network block device server goes down.
That way, the driver doesn't need to block indefinately within the
request handling function - which seems like it'd likely block other
block drivers if it did this - and doesn't need to be handled by
yet-another seperate kernel thread. Anyways... the stop is called from
either the request handling function context or from an ioctl call
context. If then a process tries to read or write to the device it
blocks - just as I'd like (more like NFS behavior that way). When my
code detects that the server has come back up again from the ioctl call
context it calls blk_start_queue(). But the I/O blocked process stays
blocked.

Am I using these calls incorrectly or is something else going on?
Insights, examples, very much appreciated.

BTW: LKML has had a related thread on this some years ago in discussing
how the block layer system handles request functions that must drop the
spinlock and may block indefinately. That never seemed to get resolved
though and makes me believe that's why Steven Whitehouse opted to use a
multi-threaded approach to the NBD driver at one point.