Re: time for some drivers to be removed?

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 11:18:12 EST

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 10:59:39AM -0500, David D. Hagood wrote:
> An item with a BROKEN flag would NOT be built in an ALLYES or ALLMODULE
> configuration - it would require the user to explicitly enable the item
> in the configuration, and the user would be notified that the module in
> question was not compiling/linking the last time the configuration data
> was updated by the kernel team.

I tend to disagree.

IMHO every selectable configuration should result in a kernel that
compiles. Yes, it's neaarly impossible to achieve this 100%, but at
least on i386 we are in 2.4 near to it for all not-very-obscure
configurations.

Where's the win if you are able to select an option that doesn't
compile? This will only cause confusion for people who compile more into
the kernel than needed (but it does no harm).

Don't forget: The vast majorit of people compiling the kernel don't know
anything about the internals of the kernel.

If you _really_ want to see the cmpile errors it's easy to edit the
Kconfig file.

cu
Adrian

--

"Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days. "Only a promise," Lao Er said. Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed