Re: 2.6.0-test1: irq18 nobody cared! on Intel D865PERL motherboard -- found it!

From: Andrew de Quincey (adq_dvb@lidskialf.net)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 19:17:06 EST

> There is something else that is not being done by linux. I'd assumed this
> was an nforce2-specific issue, but your results hint that it may be larger
> than this.

Yay! I've found it. What seems to be happening is the PIC is left connected to
the PCI IRQ lines, and is causing problems.. I assume pulling the lines
up/down incorrectly.

My BIOS lets me define which PIC IRQs are allocated to PCI and which are
"reserved". I set them all to reserved, effectively disabling any IRQs < 15
being allocated to PCI. Now everything works perfectly.

I've downloaded the manual for your motherboard, but I can't see anything like
that for your board.. all you can do is the standard choose IRQ, or auto.

Anyway, now I know what is causing this, expect a patch soon.