Re: Switching to the OSL License, in a dual way.

From: Hank Leininger (linux-kernel@progressive-comp.com)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 14:46:09 EST

On 2003-07-25, Jesse Pollard <jesse () cats-chateau ! net> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 July 2003 16:57, Larry McVoy wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > In other words, reverse engineering is ok if the product doesn't
> > provide access to your data, we do that already, poof, no reverse
> > engineering allowed. So it's illegal to reverse engineer BK.

> Nonesense. If the business no longer has the licence to use BK (for
> whatever reason) then it no longer has access to the data. Now to
> get access to the data you must reverse engineer BK...

Or, just ask. Larry has always been (or given the appearance of being)
open to handling special cases/requests reasonably[1]. Seriously, do you
think BM would turn down a "Er, we didn't see this coming, is it OK for us
to use our free-licensed BK one more time to export to SCCS or whatever?
We promise there won't be a guy from the SCM team shoulder-surfing or
tcpdumping while we do so" request? If they *did* turn down a reasonable
request, *then* maybe there would be something legitemate to flame them
about.

[1] Of course, the definition of "reasonable" will now be debated to death.

--
Hank Leininger <hlein@progressive-comp.com>