Re: 2.6 - sysfs sensor nameing inconsistency

From: Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar@mail.ru)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 13:00:51 EST

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 00:18, Greg KH wrote:
[...]
> The "translation layer" is libsensors. libsensors needs to be rewritten
> for 2.6. The sensors people know this, and it's even detailed on their
> web page. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

I do mean libsensors. Also gkrellm does not use libsensors (it interfaces with
proc/sys directly) and I already have user reports about naming problems.

> > If there are serious reasons to keep current names in "name" - what about
> > adding extra type_name property that will hold type_name compatible with
> > 2.4, at least for those drivers that are also available there. This would
> > allow easily reuse existing sensors configuration.
>
> Patches to help do this are always welcome :)

Attached is patch against 2.6.0-test1 that adds type_name to all in-tree
sensors; it sets it to the same values as corr. 2.4 senors and (in one case)
changes client name to match that of 2.4.

Assuming this patch (or variant thereof) is accepted I can then produce
libsensors patch that will easily reuse current sensors.conf. I have already
done it for gkrellm and as Mandrake is going to include 2.6 in next release
sensors support becomes more of an issue.

It compiles and w83781d works. Comments appreciated.

regards

-andrey