Re: Ingo Molnar and Con Kolivas 2.6 scheduler patches

From: Marc-Christian Petersen (m.c.p@wolk-project.de)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 04:46:45 EST

On Saturday 26 July 2003 11:30, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

Hi Felipe,

> I just only wanted to publicly invite Con Kolivas to keep on working
> with the scheduler patches he has been doing and that have required a
> constant and fair amount of time from him. I don't know if Con patches
> do work as good for others in this list as for me, so I also invite
> everyone who is/has been testing them to express their feelings so we
> all can know what's the current status of the 2.6 scheduler.
For me, all the Oxint Scheduler patches won't work well. Even for O8int I can
say the same as for 01int to 07int, the system is dog slow when doing "make
-j2 bzImage modules". XMMS does not skip, but hey, I don't care about XMMS
skipping at all. I want a system which is responsive under heavy load, where
opening an new xterm does not take 5-10 seconds, or writing an email in my MUA
looks like a child is writing on a typewriter with one finger ;)

Now that I've tested 2.6.0-test-1-wli (William Lee Irwin's Tree) for over a
week, I thought about, that the problem might _not_ be only the O(1)
Scheduler, because -wli has changed almost nothing to the scheduler stuff,
it's almost 2.6.0-test1 code and running that kernel, my system is _alot_
more responsive than 2.6.0-test1 or 2.6.0-test1-mm* or all the Oxint
scheduler fixes have ever been.

Strange no?

P.S.: I've not tested Ingo's G3 scheduler fix yet. More to come.

ciao, Marc