RE: [BUG] linux laptop keyboard problem since 2.5.74

From: Grover, Andrew (andrew.grover@intel.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 15:33:37 EST

> From: Warren Turkal [mailto:wturkal@cbu.edu]
> Something got merged between 2.5.73 and 74 that has messed
> with my system ever
> since. Some of the keys that are activated with Fn
> combinations are messed up.
>
> Some of these combinations involve turning on external
> monitor output and
> showing battery status.
>
> I suspect ACPI as that was the culprit last time when I could
> not use the Fn
> combinations at all. I compiled my kernel with acpi as
> modules and the
> problems happens even when not loading the modules for acpi.
> I also tried
> booting with acpi=off and that did not seem to change anything.
>
> Like I said, 2.5.73 was fine and didn't lock like 2.5.74 to
> 2.6.0-test1 do. So
> the bug was somewhere in that revision.
>
> I have a Gateway 600 series laptop with 256mb ram and 1.9Ghz
> P4. Does anyone
> know where I should start investigating for more info.

I don't think it's ACPI to blame. The ACPI-related changesets applied
between 2.5.73 and 2.5.74 don't look like the culprit. Also, since it
continues to happen when acpi=off that also points away from ACPI.

I have other reports of things breaking in the same timeframe so I think
it's fair to say that something has regressed...somewhere.

Regards -- Andy