Re: Japanese keyboards broken in 2.6

From: Andries Brouwer (aebr@win.tue.nl)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 11:09:53 EST

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 05:01:40PM +0100, John Bradford wrote:

> > One aspect of the matter is that raw mode no longer is raw.
> > The keyboard sends codes and the input layer translates that into
> > the codes the input layer thinks the keyboard should have sent.
> > Then, when one wants the raw codes, a reverse translation is used,
> > but since the mapping is not one-to-one the reverse translation
> > does not produce what the keyboard sent to start with.
>
> Doesn't AT-set3 usually have a closer one to one mapping of keys?

Sorry - I am unable to make sense of your question.

Below some remarks, maybe related.

Some remarks on scancode sets live on
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-7.html

Not all keyboards support all scancode sets. For example,
my MyCom laptop only supports scancode Set 2, and its keyboard
does not react at all when in mode 1 or 3.

The normal, default mode is translated scancode set 2.
Putting keyboards in other modes is asking for trouble.

Andries