Re: 2.6.0-test1 Adaptec aic7899 Ultra160 SCSI grief

From: Tugrul Galatali (tugrul@galatali.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 20:02:20 EST

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 13:17, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
[snip snip]
> came back with a tag identifier of 0x20. This looks like a drive
> firmware bug, but a bug in the aic7xxx driver cannot be completely
> ruled out without a SCSI bus trace of the failure.
[snip snip]

        SCSI bus trace = logging? I started poking around online for how that
works, and I found repeatable case of what I hope is the same error (one
tar from the bad scsi disk piping into another tar onto a good scsi
disk). One problem I ran into is that scsi_logging=X as a kernel
parameter doesn't seem to work in 2.6.0-test1, so I put in a S00 init
script to do the:

echo "scsi log all" > /proc/scsi/scsi

        The resulting /var/log/messages is ~18M, compressed down to 300k.

http://acm.cs.nyu.edu/~tugrul/scsi/messages.bz2

        Is this what you need?

        I did a quick test of the above case on a 2.4.21 kernel and it didn't
seem to trigger anything evil.

        If it turns out to be a firmware problem, is the firmware upgradeable
or do I have to buy a new drive, in which case is there a blacklist?

        Tugrul Galatali