Re: SCO offers UnixWare licenses for Linux

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra (lgcdutra@terra.com.br)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 16:03:54 EST

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:08:41 -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

> If SCO prevails it won't be the end of the world. A lot of that scalability
> stuff is just a waste of time, IMO. 32 processor systems are dinosaurs that
> are going away and I'm not the only one who thinks so, Dell and IDC agree:
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1010_3-1027556.html

        Oh yes, Dell that mainstay of high-performance
computing... and of clustering BTW! ;-)

        The day Dell 4-way 32-bits CISC machine clusters start menacing
32-way 64-bits RISC machines I'll see your point.

        Until then, it is simply a case of Dell not managing to make a
dent on a financially attractive, but technically too difficult for
them, market.

> Don't get me wrong, there are some cool things in 2.5 that we all want but
> if SCO puts a dent in the works Linux will recover and maybe be better.

        Or perhaps the Hurd will, if damage and confusion are too
widespread here. But I hope not.

--
 _   Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34
/ \  http://br.geocities.com./lgcdutra/         +41 (78) 778 11 34