Re: SCO offers UnixWare licenses for Linux

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana (felipe_alfaro@linuxmail.org)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 12:34:06 EST

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 17:08, Larry McVoy wrote:

> There seems to be a prevailing opinion that if there is stolen code in
> Linux that came from SCO owned code that all that needs to be done is
> to remove it and everything is fine. I don't think it works that way.
> If code was stolen and the fact that it is in Linux helped destroy
> SCO's business then SCO has the right to try and get damages. I.e.,
> Linux damaged SCO by using the code.

I see the point but... Take Linux as a community. Let's say someone
contributes stolen code, but the community doesn't check if the
contributed code violates any IP or copyright law. So, is the Linux
community guilty? Or else should the one that contributed code be
considered guilty?

We can't be liable for the work of others over which we don't have total
control. Or is the law forcing us to check line by line the
contributions made by hundreds of programmers all around the world?