Re: Posting format

From: Robert L. Harris (Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 12:15:53 EST

Thus spake Steven Cole (elenstev@mesatop.com):

> On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 10:03, Tomas Szepe wrote:
> > > [Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net]
> > >
> > > On the other hand if everyone posted at the top it would be considerably
> > > easier reading for those who have been following the conversation
> > > without having to scroll down and figure out where comments and the
> > > conversation is at.
> >
> > So how do you context-quote when replying at the top?
> >
> > Original text:
> >
> > Argument A.
> > Argument B.
> >
> > Reply:
> >
> > Reply intro text.
> >
> > Reaction A.
> > > Argument A.
> >
> > Reaction B.
> > > Argument B.
> >
> > I don't think so. Awkward (mixing directions) and confusing.
> >
> > > For those new to the conversation they can just start at the bottom and
> > > scroll up.
> >
> > Ever actually tried doing that? IMHO it's not half as practical and
> > natural as reading from the top down. (You have to keep scrolling,
> > searching for block starts.)
>
> I think Tomas has just hit upon why top posting is fundamentally wrong.
>
> Indo-European languages read left to right, Semitic languages read right
> to left, and some Oriental languages read top to bottom, but no human
> languages I'm aware of read bottom to top.
>
> Consider a Cafe sign:

> That is readable. How about:

> Not very readable unless you spend extra processing time to think about
> it. Reading bottom to top is counter-intuitive and wastes time. Speaking
> of which, apologies to all who feel they've wasted time by reading this.
>
> Hmm, it looks like you top-posters out there are in good company.
> Marcelo seems to be taking the lead. Grumble.

I'm not saying you should write your paragraphs backwards such as your
Cafe sign. It's more of an organizational thing than an order of
reading thing. When I sort my ToDo list I put the things most important
on top, when I sort my mail, I put the things I need to read on top,
etc. This way the most important piece (the newest comment in this
case) is on top and I don't have to go digging for it.

Not everyone puts inline responses and they're not always needed. If
you place some a good idea is one a co-worker uses:

  See inline comments below.

4 works, 1 line. Tells us there is content he added mixed in.
Otherwise I don't have to waste time and effort digging through the
rants, flames and fluff wondering "is there something down here?"...

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
      These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = robert@ipv6.rdlg.net http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = robert@mail.rdlg.net http://www.rdlg.net