Re: passing my own compiler options into linux kernel compiling

From: Hacksaw (hacksaw@hacksaw.org)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 02:59:05 EST

>Maybe there should be a possibility in menuconfig and xconfig for users
>specify their own compiler options.

The system does take the chip into account, as far as I remember. It's one of
the first few options of the config system.

As to the -O4 option, it's important to think about what optimizations it's
doing. Many of the critical functions in the kernel are hand coded assembler,
no small amount of work. The other functions might gain from this, but I bet
they don't. They might even lose from it.

In any case it appears that if you modify the HOSTCFLAGS in the top level
Makefile, you can add these options. Do be careful. The data you save may be
your own.

--
A principle is universal.
A rule is specific.