Re: 2.4.19 (and newer) - prob with the new adaptec aic7xxx driver and Promise UltraTrak100 TX2

From: Vinnie (listacct1@lvwnet.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 00:36:06 EST

Philippe Troin wrote:

>>If I compile the kernel to use the NEW aic7xxx adaptec driver, the
>>SCSI bus hangs almost immediately upon commencement of a large write
>>operation, such as attempting to copy a 500MB file from one of the
>>internal client machines to a SMB shared directory on this server.
>>The problem is reproducible on 2.4.19 and 2.4.20 kernels, if I use the
>>"new" aic7xxx driver.
>

> 8< snip >8
>
> Have you tried the updated aic7xxx driver at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/ ?
>
> AFAIK it fixes a lot of problems with aic7xxx and was not included in
> 2.4.21 for technicalities.

Hi Phil,

Thanks Phil - the updated driver solved my problem, I am now happily up and
running (and doing big writes without problems) on a fresh-compiled 2.4.20
kernel, with the /drivers/scsi tree patched with the latest set of Justin
Gibbs' drivers (6.2.36)

Thanks to Justin also, and everybody else who has (no doubt) worked on the
new Adaptec drivers to improve it since the versions included with the
official kernel.org 2.4.19 and 2.4.20 kernel sources.

Vinnie