Re: devfsd/2.6.0-test1

From: bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 16:28:43 EST

In article <1058718448.19817.5.camel@nosferatu.lan>,
Martin Schlemmer <azarah@gentoo.org> wrote:

| --=-7Lt6k6a+JkixQBaZzKBJ
|
| On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 00:39, Bill Davidsen wrote:
| > On 17 Jul 2003, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
| >=20
| > > On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 11:17, Mark Watts wrote:
| >=20
| nel)
| vfs.
| > >=20
| > > The module-init-tools tarball should include one.
| >=20
| > Agreed, it should. However, the last version I pulled had zero support fo=
| > probeall, and more importantly for probe, which is somewhat harder to do
| > cleanly without having to rewrite the config file for each kernel you
| > boot.
| >=20
|
| Well, it implements probeall in another fashion. Also, you might
| try /sbin/generate-modprobe.conf to convert a modules.conf to
| modprobe.conf syntax.

Doesn't seem to convert "probe" unless there's a *very* new version, it
converted my eight line modules.conf including probe to 113 lines of
code I need to edit before rebooting.

The problem has been that certain drivers take turns working in the 2.5
evolution, e100 and eepro for instance. So if I have e100 I want to load
it, otherwise try eepro. That's what probe is all about, and I can boot
one kernel or another, regardless of which driver works (or is compiled)
in a given kernel.

Seems like a giant step backward to drop useful functionality, but 2.4
will be around for a long time.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc