Re: pivot_root seems to be broken in 2.4.21-ac4 and 2.4.22-pre7

From: Rene Mayrhofer (rene.mayrhofer@gibraltar.at)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 01:30:44 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Maw, 2003-07-22 at 23:14, Mika Penttilä wrote:
>
>>/sbin/init used to start up with files->count > 1 and does
>>close(0);close(1);close(2); -> kernel thread fds close.
>>
>>Now with unshare_files() and init's files->count ==1 the kernel threads
>>/dev/console fds remain open. But one could ask of course so what :)
The problem with this behaviour is that the old root fs can not be
unmounted in this case, which basically means that the machine will be
unable to switch off its harddisk. And that, at least in my case, is
annoying :)

> In other words the kernel side got caught out because it assumed
> the bogus thread behaviour and needs some close() calls adding. That
> would make sense.
I have to admin that I don't really know the internals and thus don't
completely understand. What would need to be done to fix it ? Change
init's re-exec routines ?

best regards,
Rene