kernel 2.4x - getting physical address for pages in HIGHMEM

From: sumanesh samanta (sumanesh@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 19:09:54 EST

Hi,

I am facing a lot of problems in trying to get the physical address(actually
bus address) from of page.

The most obvious answer, virt_to_bus(kmap(page)) seems to work for pages
that are NOT in high memory.

For pages in high memory, I have read up a lot of documentation, and mailing
list questions, but the only thing that seems to work for me is,
(page-mem_map)<<PAGE_SHIFT

Now, the mail i got this from says that this would work only when mem_map
[] starts at zero.

I am pretty confused here, this seems to be a obvious problem, why does
Linux not have a pretty macro or function that would work in all situations?

PS. please cc me in any answers, as I am not subscribed to this list.

Thanks
sumanesh