Re: vmalloc - kmalloc and page locks

From: Gábor Lénár (lgb@lgb.hu)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 08:07:18 EST

Please read something about the mlock() and/or mlockall() functions.
The prototype can be found in [/usr/include/]sys/mman.h
You can read there:

/* Guarantee all whole pages mapped by the range [ADDR,ADDR+LEN) to
   be memory resident. */
extern int mlock (__const void *__addr, size_t __len) __THROW;
[...]
/* Cause all currently mapped pages of the process to be memory resident
   until unlocked by a call to the `munlockall', until the process exits,
   or until the process calls `execve'. */
extern int mlockall (int __flags) __THROW;

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 06:00:14AM -0700, Deas, Jim wrote:
> How can I look at what memory are being paged out of memory in the kernel
> or how to lock kmalloc and vmalloc pages so they do not get put to swap?
[...]

- Gábor (larta'H)