Re: 2.6.0-test1 won't go further than "uncompressing" on a p1/32MB pc

From: Samuel Flory (sflory@rackable.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 19:37:13 EST

Charles Lepple wrote:

>michaelm said:
>

>>That is on a p1 150MMX 32MB PC, specifically an IBM ThinkPad 560E. It
>>

>I just did a diff between your configuration, and that of my ThinkPad 770
>(233 MHz Pentium MMX).
>
>Note to defconfig maintainers: can these options be enabled by default on
>i386 (like they were in 2.4)?
>
>Things that you might want to enable:
>
>CONFIG_ISA=y
>
>CONFIG_SERIO=y
>CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
>CONFIG_INPUT_AT_KEYBOARD=y
>
>CONFIG_VT=y
>CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
>CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y

Actual the i386 defconfig does this:
[root@grendel linux-2.6.0-test1]# grep -e VT -e HW_CONSOLE -e SERIO -e
INPUT_AT_KEYBOARD arch/i386/defconfig
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
# CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT is not set
# CONFIG_SERIO_CT82C710 is not set
# CONFIG_SERIO_PARKBD is not set
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
[root@grendel linux-2.6.0-test1]#

  However a "make oldconfig" on a 2.4 .config doesn't pick this up. In
fact it appears to be impossible to select CONFIG_VT CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE
in make menuconfig.

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)