Re: SCO offers UnixWare licenses for Linux

From: Brian McGroarty (brian@mcgroarty.net)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 17:35:48 EST

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 01:53:17PM -0400, Jeff Sipek wrote:

> On Monday 21 July 2003 13:10, Gabor MICSKO wrote:
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/40526/
> >
> > interesting.
>
> "SCO has announced its latest move: concerned Linux users will be able to buy
> a UnixWare License for a "run-time, binary use of Linux." If you buy into
> their protection scheme, they promise not to sue - but only for binary use.
> Looking at the source (or modifying it), it seems, will not be allowed. It
> will be interesting to see how many companies actually buy these licenses."

I hope not many companies buy the license as a hedge against future
lawsuits...

By buying such a license, a company becomes obligated to the terms of
the license. Even if a party weren't previously at risk, they could
find that they become at risk for future lawsuits based on having
accepted the license.