Re: devfsd/2.6.0-test1

From: Rusty Russell (rusty@rustcorp.com.au)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 06:09:24 EST

In message <1058741336.19817.147.camel@nosferatu.lan> you write:
> > modprobe.conf syntax is easy to implement but unfortunately PITA
> > to use. Exactly probe and probeall have been very helful in
> > tracking module dependencies. Now you have arbitrary shell line
> > that is near to impossible to parse in general.

Sure. But probe and probeall isn't enough. You'll also want
conditionals in the parsing of the config file, so you can do
different things on different architectures or different kernel
levels. You're going to lose, here, if you try to be general 8(

We already have one hook to do arbitrary things, and I think it's
quite neat:

        # Sound is complex.
        install sound-slot-0 /sbin/configure-sound

Now, if you want to implement a meta-language that does all this,
great! But I'm resisting new features in the base, because I have to
support them, and I'm incredibly lazy.

Modules already have their own hard and soft dependencies. If you
have an incredibly complex modprobe.conf, it's worth asking whether
the correct solution is to make modprobe.conf's syntax more powerful,
or look at making a more fundamental change...

Hope that clarifies,
Rusty.