Re: Tried to run 2.6.0-test1

From: Norman Diamond (ndiamond@wta.att.ne.jp)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 01:56:30 EST

Again I cannot keep up with the mailing list. If anyone wishes to advise or
has questions, please kindly contact me directly.

In addition to my previous message quoting myself, I lied yet again:

> I've downloaded modutils-2.4.21-18.src.rpm from Rusty Russell's directory
[...]
> Odds are I can probably gunzip and tar and compile the new modutils, but
> will the resulting executables get installed into the right places without
> using the rpm command and its spec file, I'm not sure I want to chance it.

I read the two README files. BOTH OF THE GZIPPED TARBALLS
PRODUCE THE SAME EXECUTABLE FILENAMES, such as insmod.
If I can get both of them to build, how can I guess which one to install?

Besides, I tried building module-init-tools-0.9.11a even after its configure
script failed. There are a lot more differences than just the type of cpu,
from the compilation options when trying "rpm --rebuild". For example no -D
options for combining various stuff, no URL to explain tainting, etc. Also
this one's "make install" doesn't install the lsmod command.

I really really lied. I'll never figure out how to build these things
without help. As I understand it, all I need at this point is the new
modutils for execution on an i586.