Re: [OFFTOPIC] RMS and reactions to him

From: Leandro Guimarăes Faria Corsetti Dutra (lgcdutra@terra.com.br)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 16:52:05 EST

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:55:29 +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Leandro GuimarĂ£es Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
>> It won't be the first disagreement. Debian actually was
>> poised to become *the* GNU distribution until they insisted on
>> carrying non-free software, when that was even more essential.
>
> Please get your facts straight. Debian never insisted on carrying
> non-free software. There was disagreement over references to non-free
> software in Documentation. FSF would not allow documentation to mention
> the OSS drivers for example.

        Thanks for the info on documentation, but that Debian carries non-free
software against FSF's will is a fact. Or did BillG put all those
non-free dirs there?

>> Every so often this issue is raised again; presumably they will shed
>> non-free completely once a recent free version of Java 2, SWF player
>> and assorted stuff becomes available.
>
> And perhaps not.

        Perhaps, but it is their goal. If they don't, it means the proprietary
lock-in game is succeeding.

--
 _   Leandro GuimarĂ£es Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34
/ \  http://br.geocities.com./lgcdutra/         +41 (78) 778 11 34