RE: 2.6.0-test1-mm1

From: Downing, Thomas (Thomas.Downing@ipc.com)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 13:50:40 EST

I have been testing interactivity now for for a while. The only
symptom (subjective) that I can see is occasional but repeatable
(if you get what I mean) video _only_ skips in xine. The audio
does not skip. The video skips are very short, only a 4-5 frames
at most.

They occur _only_ when performing such operations as rendering a
large bitmap to the screen. They do _not_ occur when dragging
windows (with contents visible during drag,) nor does CPU load
seem to have an effect.

Playing games with nice/renice on xine or on other processes,
especially GIMP etc., does not seem to have an effect.

>From this it seems to my limited view that the remaining skips
might be XFree86 issues?

Some pertinent details:

2 x P4 Xeon 2.4 Mhz, 512Mb ram.
Radeon VQ + Matrox Mystique.
Premptive kernel
Hyperthreading enabled.
IDE DVD, no SCSI in system.

No problems at all, only minor niggles since 2.5.67. (I have
been following -mm patches.)

Thanks for the wonderful work!

td