Re: 2.6.0-test1 + matroxfb = unuusable VC

From: Jurriaan (thunder7@xs4all.nl)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 01:02:27 EST

From: Michel Eyckmans (MCE) <mce@pi.be>
Date: Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 12:39:43AM +0200

> Greetz,
>
> I'm using (or rather: trying to use) matroxfb on 2.6.0-test1 (2.5.72 had
> the same problems) and am seeing the following:
>
> - The initial boot console works fine, but all other consoles have
> scrolling problems. The area to the right of any scrolled text is
> most often coloured white, whereas it should be black. When using vi,
> it's even worse: white rectangles all over the place.
>
> - Right after switching from X to a text console, the fill color is not
> white, but sort of a folded ghost image of part of my X display;
>
> - Scrolling is not continuous: keep <enter> pushed down, and every so
> often a jump of about 1/3 of the hight of the screen occurs, combined
> with a few lines that do use the correct black background;
>
> - Backspacing only works when the cursor is positioned at the end of the
> command line. Anywhere else the positions to the right of the cursor
> are not repainted.
>
> I'm using these settings: video=matroxfb:vesa:0x11A,fh:92k,fv:160"

I can't say that I see any of that.

I'm using a G450 (AGP) on a KT400 chipset, XP-2600 cpu.

This is my kernel boot line:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-260test1ac2 root=/dev/hda1 video=matroxfb:xres:1600,yres:1280,depth:16,pixclock:4116,left:304,right:64,upper:46,lower:1,hslen:192,vslen:3,fv:85 hdb=scsi apm=power-off ide0=ata66

Consoles, X, Xv for watching videos in X - it all works fine.

CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_MGA=y
CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER=y

CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G450=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G100=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_PCI_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FONTS=y
CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22=y
CONFIG_LOGO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y

This works for me.

Kind regards,
Jurriaan

--
management n.
1. Corporate power elites distinguished primarily by their distance from