Re: 2.4.22pre6aa1

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 19:04:53 EST

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:53:09PM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 01:12:30AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > so the apps will need changes and a kernel API way to know the hardware
> > page size provided by hugetlbfs (though they could probe for it with
> > many tries).
>
> The hugepage size is exported in /proc/meminfo for the time being.

ok.

> I think 2.7 will see something we both like better.

the transparency feature in the shm-largepage patch is quite nice since
you could trivially put an app on the fs w/o any breakage that way (not
everything has to be strictly mapped with bigpages, so it would make the
code more relaxed by just changing the mountpoint). Of course a way
to know for sure if a mapping is marked VM_LARGEPAGE would be needed
then to be sure the app has the right pieces of vm backed with the right
page size.

Andrea