Re: Bitkeeper

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 16:28:29 EST

On Gwe, 2003-07-18 at 21:22, nick@snowman.net wrote:
> How about all of you take a much nicer tilt on this, and ask McVoy (who's
> already giveing you the software free) his price to GPL bitkeeper.

Make Larry a clear business case and I'm sure he will. However even
though I don't agree with Larry on a lot of things I do agree that there
isn't a sane case for him to GPL that software.

Larry actually had exactly these and related discussions before he ever
went to Linus and others with the arrangement he proposed about free if
your logs are public.

If you want to make something replace bitkeeper make it better. When
Larry has customers forcing him to write bk to [whatever] convertors
you've won.