RE: "Where's the Beep?" (PCMCIA/vt_ioctl-s)

From: Riley Williams (Riley@Williams.Name)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 16:09:15 EST

Hi James.

>>> CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR needs to be =y (or =m and the module
>>> loaded).

>> That's true, but I wonder why PC Speaker is under *INPUT*
>> category...

> Because many keyboards have built in speakers.

What sort of logic is that !!!

The ONLY reason I can think of for treating a speaker as an INPUT
device is if that speaker is wired up in a way that allows it to
be used as a microphone, the way some baby-intercoms do. If this
is the reason, then don't expect any sort of quality from it, and
please also separate this use from the more conventional one.

Best wishes from Riley.

---
 * Nothing as pretty as a smile, nothing as ugly as a frown.