Re: Fix IDE initialization when we don't probe for interrupts.

From: Geert Uytterhoeven (geert@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 10:52:58 EST

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, John Bradford wrote:
> > Another trick is the `IDE doubler' for Amiga (but I guess you can make it work
> > on any IDE interface): with a few diodes you can map the second bank of 8 IDE
> > registers to a second IDE chain, doubling the number of devices you can
> > attach.
>
> Does Linux actually support that, (on any architecture)?

Yes, that's why there are tests for CONTROL_REG in the code in the first place.
Check out CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDOUBLER in drivers/ide/.

> I was just imagining a RAID array on laptops which only have one IDE controller...

Cool ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that. -- Linus Torvalds