Re: 2.5 'what to expect'

From: Matt_Domsch@Dell.com
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 17:43:52 EST

> We had this discussion before, back when I first submitted the large
> block device patches. The consensus then was to use EFI, or LDM.

GNU parted has had the GPT code for a couple years now, and
CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION has been in both 2.4.x and 2.5.x trees for over a
year. To the best of my knowledge and experience, it works equally well
on x86 as on IA-64, modulo booting with traditional BIOSs of course.

# parted /dev/sdb print
# parted /dev/sdb mklabel gpt
# parted /dev/sdb mkpartfs p ext2 0.017 some-really-big-number

partx in util-linux can even tell the kernel about it without requiring
a reboot.

I'd definitely be interested to know of cases where it doesn't work, so
I can get them addressed.

Thanks,
Matt

--