Re: 2.6.0-test1-mm1

From: Antonio Vargas (wind@cocodriloo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 09:24:31 EST

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 03:37:58PM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Antonio Vargas wrote:
> [...]
> >It always happened to me when I run "make menuconfig" under gnome-terminal
> >on
> >redhat 9 with 2.5.73. Is it because of busy-waiting on a variable shared
> >amongst multiple processes/threads? If so, it smells of a bug in the
> >application,
> >busy-waiting is _BAD_.
>
> Ouch. Well, it is good that scheduler changes made the bug visible,
> so it can be fixed. Certainly no reason to
> work around it in the kernel, the effort is better spent on fixing
> the bug. Distributors can make sure they have fixed their apps
> before distributing 2.6.
>
> Helge Hafting

I filled an entry on redhat's bugzilla, but the response was
"keep the terminal minimised while doing heavy terminal output".
I quit redhat next day.

I could translate this to "Look mom, I can config my kernel while blindfolded!!!" ;)

I wonder if someone has produced an small test-case for this,
which works on 2.4 and dies in 2.5 or 2.6... it would then
be "easy" to check and fix the apps.

Greets, Antonio.

--

In fact, this is all you need to know to be a Caveman Database Programmer:

A relational database is a big spreadsheet that several people can update simultaneously.