Re: Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

From: Anders Karlsson (anders@trudheim.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 15:35:57 EST

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 16:15, Marc Sowen wrote:
> Hi everybody,

Hullo,

> I hope this is not too off-topic, but the fact is that neither the Intel
> PRO/Wireless 2100 (Centrino) chipset nor the Broadcom BCM9430x (e.g.
> Dell Truemobile 1180/1300/1400) chipset is currently supported in Linux
> due to FCC regulation problems.

I have pointed out to Intel that 802.11b is _not_ subject to FCC
regulation problems and I hope they will release a driver for the
802.11b Intel/PRO 2100 mini-PCI cards sometime in the (near?) future. It
would be a sensible thing to do IMHO.

> Anyhow, I plan to get a new Notebook within the next 2 or 3 weeks and I
> need to decide, whether to go for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 or the
> Broadcom BCM9430x chipset. I know it's hard to say, but what do you
> think, which company (Intel or Broadcom) is more likely to release the
> necessary documents and/or drivers for their chipsets? Both companys
> seem to ignore all inquiries concerning Linux support at the moment.

How long is a piece of string? I get replies from Intel when I write to
them, but it is all a bit vague. They will not commit to anything, which
is is frustrating.

/A