Wrong number of cpus detected/reported

From: José Francisco Ribeiro Neto (xyko@ipiranga.com.br)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 13:50:38 EST

Hi,

first of all please apologize me because I didn't subscribe the list. I
really even don't know if this list is the appropriate place to have my
question discussed but I didn't found any better one.

I installed a RedHat 7.1 system on a 4 way 1.4 Gz Compaq DL580 server
with kernel 2.4.2 and everything goes right. Because of some other
prerequisite needs I had to upgrade the kernel to 2.4.9-34.

After the upgrade the system is reporting that the machine has 8 cpu
instead of 4. I have been looking for some kind of information on the
Internet (www.google.com/linux) about that but I didn't have success.

Does anybody can tell me if I will face some major problem and why the
system is detecting (or only reporting) the wrong number of cpus ? There
is anything that I can do to have my system detecting the right number
of cpus ?

Attached there are a tar.gz file containing :

nohup.out => standard output from make bzImage
modules.out => standard output from make modules
modules.err => standard error from make modules
cpuinfo => /proc/cpuinfo

The kernel was compiled using the kernel.....-enterprise config from
/usr/src/linux-2.4/configs (smp=yes, highmem=64M)

Thanks in advance.