[RFC] early printk for x86

From: Dave Hansen (haveblue@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 15:46:12 EST

Most architectures have some way of doing printk()'s before
console_init(). x86 doesn't. x86_64 has a self-contained serial and
vga driver that do the trick. This could easily be a multiple
architecture thing, but I didn't want to clutter up generic code with
things that no one else is ever going to use.

The ugly part here is the de-static'ing of the console init functions,
and trying to keep the serial init function from running twice. The
other part that I don't like is getting the console= part at config
time. But, getting arguments parsed this early requires some invasive
surgery in early boot.

Although it _is_ ugly, it's also pretty small. Martin Bligh has
promised to add vga support too.

--
Dave Hansen
haveblue@us.ibm.com