ext2 file flag inheritance

From: Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 01:20:40 EST

hi,

I noticed that when flags (such as append-only) are set on a
directory any new file/dir created in that directory inherits its'
flags.

This is somewhat of a problem with append-only since ext2 only
refrains from doing this on symlinks, not device special files,
therefore if you create a device special node in an append-only
directory the only way to get rid of it is debugfs.

At the very least this should probably be changed to not inherit flags
to non-regular files or directories, but I am also not quite sure the
whole idea really makes sense for all the flags (it makes some sense
for sync, and perhaps noatime, but not so much for append-only).

I am not subscribed to linux-kernel so please CC any replies, thanks.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/