Linux 2.4.x on HP ze4145

From: Virgil (yyz001@euroseek.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 17:06:53 EST

Hello,

This particular laptop has, among other things, an Athlon
XP1800 mobile processor with an ALI USB 1.1 controller, an
ATI Northbridge, an ATI 320 (CAB0) videocard and a
synaptics PS/2 touchpad. In the following I'll try to best
describe the problem I have. (Please note that I am not a
developer, although I dream about writing a driver for the
oz6912 PCMCIA controller this laptop came with).

Kernel versions covered: 2.4.19 - 2.4.21pre6 patched with
acpi-patch. Distribution: none (LFS 4.0). For
distributions, I tried RH 7.1, 7.3 and 8.0 but all fail
installing if I don't pass pci=off during installation.
After reboot and stock kernel I end up with the problem
below, which does not dissappear when custom compiling the
kernel.

1) I compiled the kernel with usb support built-in (not as
modules). Upon booting and entering the login prompt, the
keyboard is blocked (i.e. I can't write anything with it).
If I press the power button, the computer enters runlevel
0 (so it is not frozen) and powers off.

2) Recompile the kernel with usb as modules (usbcore and
usb-ohci) and do a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ to load the
modules at boot time. Symptoms stay as above.

3) Remove the script from /etc/rc.d/rc3.d (e.g.). Boot.
Login as root. The keyboard works (yee!). Do cat
/dev/mouse. Keyboard no longer works (all three LEDs light
up). Reboot.

4) Do step 3 above but don't cat the mouse anymore.
Instead do modprobe usbcore and modprobe usb-ohci. The
keyboard is NOT blocked. Do cat /dev/mouse. The mouse
works (yee). Do mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb. The
USB filesystem is initialised and the USB works
beautifully (tested with a digital camera, a scanner, and
currently with an Apple USB mouse and Apple USB keyboard).

Did any1 have a similar problem? I posted this message
about three months ago on the linux-usb, omnibook and
finally last week on linux-laptop, with no success :-( At
this point I am completely out of ideas, so I'd appreciate
any help.

Virgil