[RFC] Page prefetch ver. 0.1 for 2.5.68-mm2

From: Thomas Schlichter (schlicht@uni-mannheim.de)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 15:12:16 EST

This is a working version of the idea posted on the LKML a few weeks ago...

Currently it only works when loaded as a module. Then a kernel thread
'kprefetchd' is started which prefetches swap and buffer pages when there is
free buffer memory. When the module is unloaded the kernel thread is stopped
again.

For me it works as expected and has no noticeable negative impact. But some
benchmarks should be performed to ensure this...

Besides from the problem that this works only as a module, yet, there are a
few points which could be improved when I've got some spare time...
For example I should take care of the disk I/O usage before prefetching. The
list of swapped pages is growing too much, too. It can be seen be doing a
   grep swapped_entry /proc/slabinfo
An other point is that it doesn't work on NFS file systems as I set the file
pointer to NULL for do_page_chache_readahead().

And I'm open for any other further improvements.
I hope someone else likes that patch as much as I do... ;-)

Best regards
   Thomas Schlichter

P.S.: For those who want it I've got a patch that applies on vanilla 2.5.68,
too...