Re: The IEEE-1394 saga continued... [ was: IEEE-1394 problem on init ]

From: Stelian Pop (stelian.pop@fr.alcove.com)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2003 - 11:23:23 EST

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 10:40:18AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:

> > Since I reported issues about this 3 days ago, I would have appreciated
> > being CC:'ed on the patch mail, so I could have reported issues
> > like this _before_ such a patch being applied.
>
> BTW, there are atleast 2 dozen people looking for this patch. I tested
> it and several others on the linux1394 mailing list tested it. If you
> want to be more closely involved with linux1394 specifically, then don't
> expect me to search you out...

So if I report a bug I must be subscribed to your list to get the answer,
that's it ?

You don't have to 'come search me out'. *I* sent you a bug report, the least
you could do is to CC: me on the answers. (Or gently tell me that this is
a known bug being discussed on your list and inviting me to go there to
find the answers).

> come to us where our development happens.
> We have a commit list to the repo and a developers list.

As I said in the previous mail, I did check the archives and saw nothing
trivially relevant. But of course, I could have missed something.

> I've never sent my patches to the list prior to inclusion in the kernel,
> and a lot of folks don't, depending on neccessity. I don't see the need
> to start now, not when interested parties have a place to go to see the
> patches before hand anyway.

Keeping the development discussions on your own list is of course ok,
but I believe posting an announce on lkml each time you send something
for inclusion in the main kernel would be a good idea. Especially when
you're not sending patches every day and when your patches tend to be
considerably big.

This is what (a lot of) other subsystem maintainers do.

Stelian.

--
Stelian Pop <stelian.pop@fr.alcove.com>
Alcove - http://www.alcove.com