Re: TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE & stack location

From: badari (pbadari@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 18:52:05 EST

Martin,

Only problem with moving TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE right above
text would be - limiting the malloc() space. malloc() is clever enough
to mmap() and do the right thing. Once I moved TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE
to 0x10000000 and I could not run some of the programs with large
data segments.

Moving stacks below text would be tricky. pthread library knows
the placement of stack. It uses this to distinguish between
threads and pthreads manager.

I don't know what other librarys/apps depend on this kind of stuff.

Thanks,
Badari

static inline pthread_descr thread_self (void)
{
#ifdef THREAD_SELF
  return THREAD_SELF;
#else
  char *sp = CURRENT_STACK_FRAME;
  if (sp >= __pthread_initial_thread_bos)
    return &__pthread_initial_thread;
  else if (sp >= __pthread_manager_thread_bos
           && sp < __pthread_manager_thread_tos)
    return &__pthread_manager_thread;
  else if (__pthread_nonstandard_stacks)
    return __pthread_find_self();
  else
#ifdef _STACK_GROWS_DOWN
    return (pthread_descr)(((unsigned long)sp | (STACK_SIZE-1))+1) - 1;
#else
    return (pthread_descr)((unsigned long)sp &~ (STACK_SIZE-1));
#endif
#endif
}